Kazano (as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin)
Name: Kazano (as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin)
- Kazano as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin side effects
- Kazano as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin tablet
- Kazano as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin missed dose
- Kazano as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin drug
- Kazano as a combination product containing Alogliptin, Metformin names
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking alogliptin,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to alogliptin; other DPP-4 inhibitors including linagliptin (Tradjenta, in Glyxambi, in Jentadueto), saxagliptin (Onglyza, in Kombiglyze), sitagliptin (Januvia, in Janumet); any other medications, or any of the ingredients in alogliptin tablets. Ask your pharmacist or check the Medication Guide for a list of the ingredients.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention insulin and other medications for diabetes. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you drink or have ever drunk large amounts of alcohol and if you have or have ever had pancreatitis (swelling of the pancreas), gallstones, heart failure, or kidney or liver disease.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking alogliptin, call your doctor.
- if you are having surgery including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking alogliptin.
- talk to your doctor about what you should do if you get hurt or if you develop a fever or infection. These conditions may affect your blood sugar and the amount of alogliptin you may need.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Be sure to follow all exercise and dietary recommendations made by your doctor or dietitian. It is important to eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and lose weight if necessary. This will help to control your diabetes and help alogliptin work more effectively.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
This medication may cause changes in your blood sugar. You should know the symptoms of high and low blood sugar and what to do if you develop these symptoms.
Alogliptin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- stuffy or runny nose
- sore throat
- joint pain
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop taking alogliptin and call your doctor immediately or get emergency medical treatment:
- severe stomach pain that may move to your back
- excessive tiredness
- loss of appetite
- pain in the right upper area of the stomach
- dark urine
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- skin peeling
- swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, or throat
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- shortness of breath, especially when lying down
- swelling of the feet, ankles, or legs
- sudden weight gain
Alogliptin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online (http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch) or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
In case of emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.
Brand names of combination products
- Kazano ® (containing Alogliptin, Metformin)
- Oseni® (containing Alogliptin, Pioglitazone)