Name: Symmetrel Syrup
- Symmetrel Syrup uses
- Symmetrel Syrup used to treat
- Symmetrel Syrup is used to treat
- Symmetrel Syrup drug
- Symmetrel Syrup missed dose
Why is this medication prescribed?
Amantadine is used to treat Parkinson's disease and conditions similar to those of Parkinson's disease. It also is used to prevent and treat respiratory infections caused by influenza A virus.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should this medicine be used?
Amantadine comes as a capsule and liquid to take by mouth. It is usually taken once or twice a day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take amantadine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. Do not stop taking amantadine without talking to your doctor.
If this medication causes insomnia (difficulty sleeping), take the last dose several hours before bedtime.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking amantadine,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to amantadine or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially benztropine (Cogentin), hydrochlorothiazide with triamterene (Maxzide, Dyazide), medication for depression, other medication for Parkinson's disease, medication for spasms of the stomach or intestines, stimulants, trihexyphenidyl (Artane), and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you have epilepsy or any other type of seizures, or have ever had heart, kidney, or liver disease, heart failure, low blood pressure, recurring skin rash, or mental illness.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking amantadine, call your doctor immediately. Amantadine may cause harm to the fetus.
- this medicine may cause blurred vision; be careful when driving or doing things requiring alertness.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
In case of emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.